Thursday, February 24, 2011

Pink Eye

I woke up Sunday, February 6 to the strangest sensation. My eyes felt like they were glued shut! This was around 3am, so I jumped out of bed to see what on earth was in/on my eyes. Aside from them being crusty and (very) goobery, once I finally got them pried open to see out of them I realized they were bright red!! I sauntered back to bed, and tried going back to sleep without waking Jeff. I slept very fitfully and woke again about 2 hours later, same story. This time I woke him, telling him something was wrong with my eyes, and asked him to take a look too. He turned the light on and confirmed: "Yeah, they look pretty red." Then turned the light off and went back to bed. The babies woke around 8:30 and I had Jeff feed them because I wasn't sure what was happening with me. My eyes were beginning to itch and burn pretty badly so I told him I thought I'd go to Urgent Care. I'd never had pink eye before, but was almost certain that was what I had. The nurse that took my stats asked, "Have you ever had pink eye?" before the doctor even came in to diagnose me. Yeah, it was that bad. I looked like... a zombie. I was going to post a picture but it's scary. LOL. Anyway, the doctor tells me I have the highly contagious bacterial kind. Well isn't THAT just wonderful. As I'm driving home I'm praying that nobody else in the family gets it, because whatever I'd been exposed to...you can bet the babies have been exposed to as well. I had taken them to the pediatrician the Monday before for their follow-up flu shot. Honestly, that was probably the only place we'd even gone that week so it only made sense that that was where I contracted it...

Jeff's sister was in town visiting and we were supposed to go over to his grandparents' house that afternoon for lunch and to visit some more. We decided it would be best for me to stay home, and I'd try and rest while he took the babies. He called me on his way home, "Jeffy has some goobery drainage in his right eye.." Oh boy. The babies went down for naps shortly after they got home and when Jeffy woke up crying hysterically I was almost afraid of going in there for fear of what I'd find. Sure enough, his eye was all crusted shut and he was pulling at it. 12 hours later, Jeff took him to the same Urgent Care center I'd gone to and Jeffy was diagnosed as well. His eyes never got to the stage mine were at (they never got pink!) so I think we caught it in time.

It's now 2.5 weeks later (Can you believe I started writing this post last week? So much for my once-a-week challenge!!!) and both Jeffy and I are completely healed. Thank goodness! I'm going to post this now and start on my next topic: the babies are 8 months old today!

No comments:

Post a Comment